hong kong harbour view

Work in Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a famous international business and financial city in the world, it requires a variety of highly skilled and educated talents and professional from abroad to grow its strong workforces, maintain its economic growth and remain its competitiveness in the new global economy.

The government of Hong Kong is actively seeking to bring in talents, skilled professionals from abroad to help strengthen its international economic positions. Whether you are looking for permanent or temporary work in Hong Kong, or even if you are a Hong Kong employer seeking to bring in skilled foreign workers, you may find the most latest and useful information from this website.

In order to work, stay and live in Hong Kong officially, every foreign worker will need to apply an appropriate visa or work permit. There are 2 common ways to apply for a visa or work permit from the Hong Kong immigration department, entrepreneur visa (also known as investment visa) or employment visa (also known as working visa).

Employment Visa

The Employment Visa (also known as working visa/permit) is designed to allow foreign professional to take up an employment in Hong Kong. This visa is initially granted for 1-2 years based on the employment conditions, extensions of visa are required and is typically given under a 3-3 patterns. A foreign worker who has seven consecutive years of employment in Hong Kong can consider to apply for permanent resident status.

To qualify for an Employment Visa, the applicant should

● Hold a university degree or above in relevant field
● Have a confirmed employment offer by a Hong Kong company

You may be interested

> Do I need a visa in Hong Kong?
> Apply for a work permit
> Understand your right as a foreign worker in Hong Kong
> Find a job in Hong Kong


Yes. In order to work legally in Hong Kong, you require a visa or entry permit to work, study, establish or join in any business or to take up residence in Hong Kong. Holder of visit visa is not allowed by law to take up employment (paid or unpaid), to establish or join in any business, or to enter school as a student. Any person who works in Hong Kong without a valid visa or work permit shall be liable to a maximum fine of HK$50,000 and 2 years imprisonment under the Immigration Ordinance (Chapter 115), Laws of Hong Kong.
The document require for visa application varies from case to case and is subjected to the visa types of your application.

We offer a free online assessment to advise you the best visa options based on your profile. During your application, we will also prepare a tailored made checklist of all of the forms and supporting documentation required on your case to help you ease the complexity of application.
The application of an employment visa takes about 4-8 weeks after your submission of application. An entrepreneur visa application will generally takes around 3 to 6 months for government assessment.
Although Hong Kong is part of the People’s Republic of China it remains a Special Administrative Region (SAR) with its own immigration policy. While Mainland China always requires a visa for entry, Hong Kong is a separate travel area with business-friendly immigration policies. Visitors from over 170 countries are allowed to visit Hong Kong without a visa/entry permit for a period ranging from 7 days to 180 days. E.g. nationals of the US, Europe, Australia and New Zealand don’t require a visa to enter Hong Kong for stays of 90 days, 180 days for UK nationals. Check on the below lists for the visa required countries.
Have more questions about Visa Application ?

Talk to our consultant now?